Discover our Spirit
Baindur: This is located 32 km away from Kundapura, the taluk headquarters and is about 26 km from Kollur. The National Highway 17 passes beside the village. This has historical importance, as being an harbour town and it is known for its Seneshwara temple. Previously it was ruled by the Jaina kings. Inscription (1356) refers to an endowment made to Gokarneshwara, Marthandeshwara and Bhanu deva Basadi. Another inscription of 1449 gives some information regarding the endowment offered to Parshwanatha temple's professionals school, to Brahmadeva's lamp, to God Bankeshwara and to the mutts. Another inscription states that the antiquity of Seneshwara as old as Treta Yuga. There is an opinion that Rama had stayed for a night here while on his way to Lanka and thought of constructing a bridge to Lanka from here itself; but was dropped on the advise of Bindumaharshi. There is an opinion that the Seneshwara linga was installed by Rama. Now this temple has been protected by the Dharmasthala Dharmothana Committee. Baindupur was named so because of Bindhumaharshi. Later it was named as Bainduru. An inscription of 1359 (Paduvari) mentions 240 mude of rice being given by the commander Chikkamallaiah to the Seneshwara God of Bainduru. Another inscription of 1360 has also mention the offering of 100 mude rice to goddess Balari' of Virupakshapura. Yet another inscription of 1365, (Bainduru) mention the endowments made to Narasimhadeva mutt. An inscription of 1449 reveals an endowment made to God Parshwanatha and to the mutts of Ganganadu and Bankeshwara Gayatridevi. An inscription of 1508 (Baindur), refer to the endowment given to Seneshwara temple and to Chaturmukha Mutt, during the reign of Veera Narasimha, by the Indarasa Odeya. In an inscription of 1524, seen in the Seneshwara temple, the endowments made to Baindurunadu Seneshwara, Narasimhadeva, Gopinatha deva and for the services of local mutts is recorded in detail.
In the midst of vast enclosure there are garbhagraha, sukanasi, navaranga and nandi mantapas. Temples, including Seneshwara temple, are architecturally very good. Its walls, door Jamb, and pillars are very attractive. That's why this village is called the Belur of the district. There is a Shivalinga in the main sanctum of the temple. In the Devakoshtas we may find Surya, Vishnu, Sapthamathruka, Balamuriganapa, Mahishamardini, Subrahmanya Shankaranarayana and other attractive sculptures. In the pradhakshina patha we find Kalabhairava, four faced Brahma, Ugranarasimha, Veerabhadra and Bhairaveshwari's sculpture. P.Gururaja Bhat has opined that this was constructed by the Kalyana Chalukya rulers during 11-12 century. In the process of justifying this fact Y.Umanath Shenoy opines that ,this temple was constructed by Jeemuthavahana (1020-59) of Sena family. On the way to Shirur we come across a Mastikallu at Othinene. The natives worship it even today. We can find another interesting thing that a wooden doll is being offered in the form of a vow to this rock. Very near to this there is the of Raghavendraswamy popularly known as mini Mantralaya. We can have a speclacular view of the occan from here. There is a belief that the temple of Someshwara in Paduvari was constructed by Lord Rama, while constructing the bridge which is not far away to the village. On the way to Kadala theertha, in the midst of rocks, there is Nagatheertha and Panchalingeshwara temple. In the sanctum of the temple there are five small Shivalingas as a token of five Eshwaras. The great historian George Moraes is a native of this village. Ganganadu: It is not far away to Baindur. Here also we can find inscription, Shivalinga, Lake temple and many other remnants.
It is located eight kms South-east of the taluk centre Kundapur and is on the northern bank of Varahi. Both Basarur and Hattiyangadi are on either banks of the river Varahi, and are harbour towns of much significance. Formerly it was the capital town of Alupa, Shanthara and Honnakambali kings.Lokanatheshwara temple at Hattiyangadi was built during 7th century and recently it has been renovated. Its tower is beautiful. Aditya, Ambika, Vishnu and Gananatha are in four directions of the temple and the abode of Maheshwara is in the middle. It appears that the idol is holding butter in its hand. Therefore, it is called 'Benne Vamana'. Hattiyangadi was called Gostipura in medieval ages. Under the leadership of Ramabhatta, an yakshagana artist, and the people of Harunadu donated generously for the uthsava of Thuduvu Lokanateshwara. The chariot procession takes place on the day of Kamadahana (burning of desire). The inscriptions have confirmed that Hattiyangadi was an important Jain centre. The statues of Chandranatha Thirthankara and Padmavathi yakshi are in the Chandranath Basadi. It was built by Shanthara king Jinadattaraya.Like Hemmadi, Hattiyangadi was the centre of Krishna worship. Due to the influence of Ramavallabhadasa of Maharashtra (in the 16th century), it got the popularity as Krishna's abode. Gopalakrishna mutt was established and his disciples stayed here and started Gosayi tradition. Nearby the village, there is a spacious temple of Maraladevi atop the hill. The idols of Astalakshmi and Navadurga are seen on the tower of the temple. The three goddesses have been worshipped here since 8th century. Sandalwood faced goddesses are on a single pedestal. The wooden idol of Veerabhadra stays as an entourage God. Vinayaka temple of this place is shining with its new tower, and the infant Vinayaka is being worshipped here. The Gurukula of the temple provides opportunity for Sanskrit education. There is a midday meals arrangement in the temple.
This is a religious centre located seven km away from the taluk centre Kundapur. It is famous for Saraswath mutt. A temple has been built by the local king, and images like Dattatreya, Gopalakrishna and Rajarajeswari Yoginishantheri Jogavve and Krishnadas Gosayi are here. Like Hattiyangadi, it is also a centre of Krishna cult. Ramavallabha Das and his disciples of Devagiri (Maharashtra) have given publicity to Krishna cult. Krishna Das Gosayi was one of the disciples of Ramavallabha Das. He was buried here. There is another mutt, called Shantheri Jogavve's mutt. Formerly Hemmadi was called 'Hemapura'. Lakshminarayana temple of this place is ancient. There is a beautiful sculpture of Lakshminarayana in the sanctum. The inscriptions of 13th and 14th centuries tell about the endowment made to Lord Lakshminarayana. According to an inscription of 1516, Hemmadi was given as datti. And another inscription near the Lakshminarayana temple tells about the Yathiraya of Barakur. The same inscription reveals the fact that sixty varahas were given for the service of god Ramachandra whom Vysathirtha used to worship. Formerly Hemmadi was the administrative centre for the Thondarasas. The local people show places like Padlahithlu, Uvinathopalu and Kote Bettu as vestiges. Ganesha Yakshagana Puppet Show Mandali of Kogga Kamathura Uppinakunduru sub-village has got national and international fame by exhibiting its art. Wooden puppets of two feet height and 2-3 kgs would be decorated with different colours and costumes. Puppets are being exhibited and performed as part of religious ritual.
It is only 3 kms away from Basaruru. It is an Agrahara formed by Brahmins who came from Ahichattra and settled here. It is famous by its temple of Vellur's Subrahmanya. The sacred places of Malayali Bobbarya, Rakteshwari, Yakshi, Kshetrapala, Nandigonadi are in the premises of this temple. Many devotees come here for Mydarshana during Sankranthi regularly to this temple. The annual car festival takes place two days after Makara Sankranthi. The Shashti Utsava is held on Margashira Shudda Shashti, when devotees perform urulu seve and made seve.
This is famous for its Kirumanjeshwara temple and is located about 22 km away from its taluk centre, Kundapura. The ancient Agastheshwara temple also is seen here. This place was an Agrahara earlier.
It is situated 25 km away from its taluk centre, Udupi and 12 km from Kundapura. The place has famous temples like Hiremahalingeshwara and Rajashekhara. There is also a temple called Amruteshwari, who is famously known as "Mother of many children". This temple has the famous Yakshagana troupe called, "Kota Amruteshwari Yakshagana Mandali". There is a Kashi Mutt belonging to Gowda Saraswath Community. The place got its recognition due to the famous Kannada writer Kota Shiva Rama Karantha, as it was his birth place. His residence 'Suhasa Nivasa' is in this village. Koteshwara : is just four km away from its nearest town, Kundapura. It is believed to be one of the seven creations of Lord Parashurama. The place got its name due to the Kotilingeshwara temple here. So far, more than 10 inscriptions have been found here, which mention the name of the place as Koteshwara. The inscriptions lying in front of the temple reveal that the place was gifted to the temple, by the Pandya kings of Barakur. The inscriptions highlight the cultural prosperity of the place in the past. An inscription of 1546 A.D. mentions the bloodshed between Brahmins and Shudras, where the dead bodies were found in the premises of the temple, for which the temple was shut for six months and then reopened after purification. The temple has a lake called Kotithirtha adjacent to it. The temple is quite old and is mentioned in an inscription of 1324 A.D. The temple fairs in the region start with Kotilingeshwara temple fair. The fair is celebrated in the temple every year.
It is an important piligrimage centre, situated 32 km away from the taluk centre Kundapura. It is one of the famous ancient Sapthakshetras (seven centres). Mythologically, it is the abode of sage Krodamuni. It has been said that Krodamuni was meditating in a cave here. Its original name was Golikatte. Later it was named after Shankaranarayana since he was the prime God of the village. There is an epic story that two demon brothers got an extreme boon- 'When two become one and one becomes five, then only let death visit'- from Shiva through their meditation. They were ruling Khadavase - Rattadi villages for some time. Shankara-narayana had assumed a single form on the request of saints and finished the demons. Sankaranarayana stays in five places, and of them four (Krodagiri, Muchattu,Belve and Amasebylu) are in Kundapur taluk and one (Averse) in Udupi taluk. According to P. Gururaj Bhat (with reference to some Kodagi inscriptions of 13-14 century) that shankaranarayana temple belonged to 11th -12th century. Many inscriptions reveal the fact that the kings of Vijayanagar and Keladi had given grant to this temple. Vadiraja thirtha visited the temple and praised Shankaranarayana whole heartedly. Sthalapurana tells that it is a holy place like Kashi. Kotithirtha is in front of the spacious Shankaranarayana temple. It is always filled with water and pleasing. Though the Udbavalinga is Jodilinga, it appears like Ekalinga. It is in the Siddamrutha thirtha jalakunda. If the devotees desire they can look at it through the reflection of a mirror with the help of the priests. Human size silver statue of Shankaranarayana, big chariot of Skanda, Anjaneya Swamy high light pillar, wooden architectural boards of ancient mantapas, huge bell of 6 quintal weight, colourful Chavadi of Bhogamantapa etc attract the attention of viewers. The devotees undertake 'Panchasthalayathra' to Shankaranarayana panchakshethras on Shivaratri Brahmi muhurtha and complete it on the same day. Souda: It is an ancient Agrahara, three km away from Shankaranarayana. An eminent Diwan, during the period of Keladi Somashekara Nayak was responsible for building the five Agraharas. Souda was one among the Agraharas. Though Sambashiva temple of the ancient Agrahara of Nayak's period is in a declining stage, its tower is fascinating. There is an idol of Devi along with the golden lined Linga in the sanctum of the temple. This is one of the specialties of the temple. Besides the temple, steps towards the river are very attractive. Lakshmivenkateshwara temple which is very near to Shivalaya, the worshipping abode of Diwan's family, was damaged in 1992 due to floods. Venkateshwara sculpture along with Sreedevi- Bhudevi is very fascinating. Nearby is the Diwan's palace which is in a declining stage. There is also a Brahmaratha if we go by boat from old Agrahara, we reach new Agrahara, there we find Shivalinga in Shivalaya which is in Jalakunda. Here water slides down silently and swells in Varahi as Sukthimathi thirtha. It is the belief of the local people.
This is situated on the coast, 28 km away from Kundapura, the taluk centre. The name Uppukunda is described in many inscriptions. The inscriptions of 1317, 1377, 1451, 1482, refer to several gifts (datti) made to Durgaparameshwari. It is believed that the coconut farm in the coastal area is due to the mercy of Kolluru Mukambika. Hence the coconuts are used by the people only after offering the first yield to the temple Treasury of Kolluru Mukambika, practiced even now. Fishing is the main profession of the people in observed this area. Many fishermen are here. The Yakshagana Bombeyata Mandali of this temple got fame by its performances which is running by the grace of goddess Durgambika. It is being used for literacy campaign also.